A two-day National Consultation of Swachh Iconic Places (SIP) was recently held at New Delhi.
- Representatives from 20 Iconic Sites including central and State officials, representatives of iconic places and Corporate and development partners including World Bank took part in the consultations.
Initiated as a project to implement Prime Minister’s vision to take iconic places and their surroundings to higher standards of Swachhata, so that all visitors benefit and also take away home the message of cleanliness, Swachh Iconic Places is now in its second phase.
10 New Iconic sites identified under Phase II are: 1. Gangotri, 2. Yamunotri,
3. Mahakaleshwar Temple, 4. Charminar, 5. Church and Convent of St. Francis of Assissi, 6. Kalady, 7. Gomateshwar, 8. Baijnath Dham, 9. Gaya Tirth and 10. Somnath temple. These phase II SIPs will join 10 iconic places where special Swachhata work is under implementation for about a year. These Phase I iconic places are: 1. Ajmer Sharif Dargah
2. CST Mumbai 3. Golden Temple, 4. Kamakhya Temple, 5. Maikarnika Ghat, 6. Meenakshi Temple, 7. Shri Mata Vaishno Devi, 8. Shree Jagannath Temple, 9. The Taj Mahal and 10. Tirupati Temple.
- Phase I iconic sites reported notable initiatives taken by them like improved sewage infrastructure, drainage facilities, installation of Sewage Treatment Plant (STP), improved sanitation facilities, water vending machines (Water ATMs), Solid and Liquid Waste Management (SLWM) set-up, structure restoration, roads maintenance, Lighting arrangements, beautification of parks, better transport facilities in approach and access areas besides at the main sites.
- The Phase II Iconic sites formulated their Action Plans based on their site needs in consultation with experts and based on learning from phase I implementation.