Here are the five things you should know about the “Ek Bharat, Shresth Bharat” scheme.
1) The “Ek Bharat, Shresth Bharat” scheme draws inspiration from the life of India’s freedom fighter Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel. The prime minister recalled Sardar Patel’s initiatives as mayor of Ahmedabad during the 1920s, including a campaign for cleanliness and a proposal for 50 percent reservation for women.
2) The ‘Ek Bharat Shreshtha Bharat’ initiative will be launched soon under which every state will choose another state each year and then promote its language and culture.
3) The government has formed a committee to work out the modalities of the scheme in consultation with the states.
4) According to the scheme, two states will undertake a unique partnership for one year which would be marked by cultural and student exchanges.
5) Students of a particular state would travel to another state to learn each other’s culture.