- ‘Critically endangered’ endemic plant species recently rediscovered in the Nilgiris.
- The incredibly rare Arisaematranslucens, more commonly remembered as the cobra lily, was recently rediscover-ed in the western Nilgiris after 84 years.
- Barely a few hundred cobra lily plants are left in the wild and they can be found only in a small area measuring less than 10 square kilometres in the Nilgiris.
- The Toda tribals of the Nilgiris, who know the planet well, have an embroidery motif known as the ‘podwarshk’, which resembles it.
- Of the handful cobra lily species found in the Nilgiris, only two are endemic.
Source: The Hindu