Recently, India successfully flight-tested the indigenously developed high-speed expendable aerial target (HEAT), ABHYAS, from the Integrated Test Range (ITR) in Chandipur off the Odisha coast.
About ABHYAS High speed Expendable Aerial Target (HEAT)
- The performance of the aircraft at low altitude, including sustained level and high maneuverability, was demonstrated during the test flight.
- The target aircraft was flown from a ground-based controller in a pre-designated low-altitude flight path, which was monitored by various tracking sensors deployed by the ITR, including radar and an electro-optical targeting system.
- ABHYAS is designed and developed by Aeronautical Development Establishment of Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO).
- The air vehicle was launched using twin under-slung boosters, which provide the initial acceleration to the vehicle.
- It is powered by a small gas turbine engine to sustain a long endurance flight at high subsonic speed.
- The target aircraft is equipped with a micro-electromechanical systems-based inertial navigation system.
- It also has a flight control computer for guidance and control along with a radio altimeter for very low-altitude flight and a data link for encrypted communication.
Visit Abhiyan PEDIA (One of the Most Followed / Recommended) for UPSC Revisions: Click Here
IAS Abhiyan is now on Telegram: Click on the Below link to Join our Channels to stay Updated
IAS Abhiyan Official: Click Here to Join
For UPSC Mains Value Edition (Facts, Quotes, Best Practices, Case Studies): Click Here to Join