- To provide a single platform for research internships, capacity building programs, and workshops across the country, the Science and Engineering Research Board (SERB) has launched a new scheme called ‘Accelerate Vigyan’ (AV).
About the scheme
- The primary objective of this inter-ministerial scheme is to give more thrust on encouraging high-end scientific research and preparing scientific manpower, which can lead to research careers and knowledge-based economy.
- Recognizing that all research has its base as development of quality and well-trained researchers, AV will initiate and strengthen mechanisms of identifying research potential, mentoring, training and hands-on workshop on a national scale.
- The AV will work on mission mode, particularly with respect to its component dealing with consolidation / aggregation of all major scientific events in the Thus, an Inter-Ministerial Overseeing Committee (IMOC) involving all the scientific ministries/departments and a few others has been constituted for the purpose of supporting SERB in implementing the AV scheme in a successful manner.
Back to Basics
Science and Engineering Research Board (SEEB)
- Established through an Act of Parliament, SERB is a statutory body with requisite financial and administrative autonomy for performing its mandated functions.
- Creation of SERB, in year 2011, is considered as an important institutional milestone in the Indian S&T ecosystem.
- Chaired by Secretary, DST, SERB comprises of 17 members that includes seven Secretaries to the Government of India. An Oversight Committee advises and assists the Board.
- SERB has a vision to position science and technology as the fulcrum for social and economic change by supporting competitive, relevant and quality scientific research and development.
- As the premier national research funding agency, the mission is to raise the quality and footprint of Indian science and engineering to the highest global levels in an accelerated mode, through calibrated, competitive support of research and development.