- The “tendency to bypass safety procedures and the overconfidence of workers” might have triggered fatal accident at the Cochin Shipyard.
- A preliminary inspection points to a leak in the huge quantity of acetylene that was being stored (for welding work).
- It is inflammable in the 3% to 100% range (meaning it triggers an explosion even when oxygen is absent).”
- Acetylene (ethyne) is the chemical compound with the formula C2H2.
- This colourless gas is widely used as a fuel and a chemical building block.
Applications of Acetylene:
- Used for carburization (that is, hardening) of steel
- Portable lighting
- Used to volatilize carbon in radiocarbon dating etc.