- Bhabha Atomic Research Centre (BARC) has designed Advanced Heavy Water Reactor (AHWR) for utilisation of Thorium.
- This reactor has several passive safety systems and runs on coolant flow by natural circulation.
- It meets all the post Fukushima requirements and can withstand severe accidents without exposing radiation in the environment.
- It meets all the safety features of 3rd generation reactors.
- AHWR design has been reviewed by Nuclear Power Corporation of India Limited (NPCIL) and Atomic Energy Regulatory Board (AERB) has accorded pre-licensing approval.
- Government of India has given ‘in principle’ approval for constructing AHWR in Tarapur, Maharashtra.