Recently, the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) has successfully test-fired Agni Prime Missile.
About Agni Prime Missile
Agni Prime Missile is a new generation, medium-range nuclear capable ballistic missile.
Agni Prime Missile is an advanced variant of Agni class of missiles.
- It is a canisterised missile with range capability between 1,000 and 2,000 km.
- Canisterisation of missiles reduces the time required to launch the missile while improving its storage and mobility.
- The missile followed text book trajectory, meeting all mission objectives with high level of accuracy.
- Many advanced technologies including composites, propulsion systems, innovative guidance and control mechanisms and state-of-the-art navigation systems have been introduced.
- The Agni-P missile would further strengthen India’s credible deterrence capabilities.
- This is a two stage solid fuel missile that can be stored in canister for cold launch and transported through road and rail and transported all across the country as per operational requirements.
Back to Basics
- Agni class of missiles are the mainstay of India’s nuclear launch capability which also includes the Prithvi short range ballistic missiles, submarine launched ballistic missiles and fighter aircraft.
- The longest of the Agni series, Agni-V, an Inter-Continental Ballistic Missile (ICBM) with a range of over 5,000 km, has already been tested several times and validated for induction.
- DRDO had in January 2020 successfully test-fired a 3,500-km range submarine-launched ballistic missile, K-4, from a submerged pontoon off the Visakhapatnam coast. Once inducted, these missiles will be the mainstay of the Arihant class of indigenous ballistic missile nuclear submarines (SSBN) and will give India the stand-off capability to launch nuclear weapons submerged in Indian waters.
- INS Arihant, the only SSBN in service, is armed with K-15 missiles with a range of 750 km.
IGMDP (Integrated Guided Missile Development Program)
- Five missiles developed under this:
- Agni Series
- Prithvi (Ballistic Missiles)
- Nag (3rd gen Anti-tank missile)
- Akash (Medium Range Surface to Air)
- Trishul (Short range Surface to Air)
Security related Current Affairs : Click here