- It is Albania’s national symbol, but the eagle may soon only be found on the flag.
- The majestic bird is threatened with extinction due to widespread poaching of raptors.
- The buzzard is a protected species just like the golden eagle.
- But the man isn’t concerned as he exhibits the bird with its wing wounded by a bullet and its talons tied.
- Of the four species of vultures that used to exist in Albania, “only one, the Egyptian vulture, remains and its population has been extremely reduced.
- So too the dwindling number of golden eagles, a two-head.
- On a global scale, the golden eagle (Aquila chrysaetos) is not classified as a threatened species, according to the International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN).
- But in Albania nowadays the place where you are most likely to see a golden eagle is “stuffed in bars, restaurants or hotels.