Recently, the Alibaug white onion and Wada Kolam Rice of Maharashtra was given the Geographical Indication (GI) tag.
About Alibaug white onion and Wada Kola Rice
About the Alibaug White Onion
- Alibag’s white onion, which has medicinal qualities and is used for the treatment of heart ailments, controlling cholesterol and creation of insulin, has been mentioned in the official gazette as long back as 1883.
- The onions have low pungency, sweet taste, ‘no tear’ factor, low pyruvic acid, high protein, fat and fibre content, besides high antioxidant compounds (quercetin).
- It boosts immunity, helps with insomnia, blood cleaning, blood pressure and heat-related ailments.
- White onion is highly effective in controlling evening bloating, night sweats, and is also good for gut bacteria diversity, as it works as a prebiotic and has resistant starch which is good for your stomach and gut health.
About Wada Kola Rice
- A rice variety widely grown in Wada in Maharashtra’s Palghar district has got the ‘Geographical Indication’ (GI) tag
- Wada Kolam, also known as Zini or Jhini rice, is a traditional variety grown in Wada tehsil of Palghar, with the grain being off white in colour.
- It is priced between Rs 60-70 per kilogram in domestic markets and has a sizable demand overseas as well.
Back to Basics
About GI Tag
- It is an indication which is definite to a geographical territory.
- It is used for agricultural, natural and manufactured goods.
- The goods need to be produced or processed or prepared in that region.
- The product must have a special quality or reputation.
- The Geographical Indications of Goods (Registration and Protection) Act, 1999 provides registration and also protection of GI goods in India.
- The Geographical Indications Registry for India is located in Chennai.
- A registered GI tag prohibits a third party to use such products.
- GI is a collective intellectual property right and is thus owned by all the producers within the defined GI territory.
- Patents and trademarks are owned by an individual or a business entity.
GI Tags in News UPSC 2021 : Click Here