Recently, IIT Ropar develops ‘AmbiTag’ to record real-time ambient temperature.
- Shaped like a USB device, AmbiTag continuously records the temperature of its immediate surroundings “from -40 to +80 degrees in any time zone for a full 90 days on a single charge.
- Most of the similar devices available in the international market record data only for a duration of 30- 60 days.
- It generates an alert when the temperature goes beyond a pre-set limit. The recorded data can be retrieved by connecting the USB with any computer.
- So far, such devices are being imported by India in a massive quantity from other countries such as Singapore, Hong Kong, Ireland, and China.
- The device has been developed under Technology Innovation Hub – AWaDH (Agriculture and Water Technology Development Hub) and its Startup ScratchNest.
Applications of AmbiTAG
- The device helps know whether that particular item transported from anywhere in the world is still usable or perished because of temperature variation.
- This information is particularly critical for vaccines including the Covid-19 vaccine, organs, and blood transportation.
- Besides perishable items including vegetables, meat, and dairy products it can also monitor the temperature of animal semen during transit.
Science and Technology Current Affairs for UPSC : Click Here