Andhra Pradesh’s first wild orchidarium to come up in Visakhapatnam soon.
Key Details about orchidarium
- The scientifically designed orchidarium, planned by the Andhra Pradesh Forest Department in Visakhapatnam, is a part of the Eastern Ghats Biodiversity Centre.
- This centre, a first of its kind project in Andhra Pradesh by the forest department, is coming up near the ACA VDCA Cricket Stadium area bordering the Kambalakonda Wildlife Sanctuary.
- About 20 species of orchids found in the Eastern Ghats including the cooktown orchid, moon orchid, dancing lady orchid and eight varieties of vanda orchids can be seen here.
- It is estimated that there are as many as 25,000 varieties of naturally occurring orchids in the world. Of these, more than 1,300 species of wild orchids are recorded in India.
- However, the focus of the orchidarium is to highlight the varieties found in the Eastern Ghats.
- It will serve as a knowledge centre for ex situ conservation of orchids.
Visit Abhiyan PEDIA (One of the Most Followed / Recommended) for UPSC Revisions: Click Here
IAS Abhiyan is now on Telegram: Click on the Below link to Join our Channels to stay Updated
IAS Abhiyan Official: Click Here to Join
For UPSC Mains Value Edition (Facts, Quotes, Best Practices, Case Studies): Click Here to Join