Skip to content
- The treaty was opened for signature on December 1, 1959, and officially entered into force on June 23, 1961.
- The original signatories were 12 countries: Argentina, Australia, Belgium, Chile, France, Japan, New Zealand, Norway, South Africa, the Soviet Union, the United Kingdom and the United States.
- India is also a party to the Antarctic Treaty.
- Some important provisions of the Treaty:
- Antarctica shall be used for peaceful purposes only.
- Freedom of scientific investigation in Antarctica and cooperation toward that end shall continue.
- Scientific observations and results from Antarctica shall be exchanged and made
- India is expanding its infrastructure development in Antarctica. The government is rebuilding its station, Maitri, to make it bigger and last for at least 30 years.
Enjoy this blog? Please spread the word :)
error: Content is protected !!