- A homoeopathic drug, Arsenicum album 30, has become a subject of debate after several states recommended it for prophylactic (preventive) use against Covid-19.
- The Ministry of AYUSH listed the drug among “preventive and prophylactic simple remedies” against Covid-19.
What is the Issue?
- There is no scientific evidence that the drug works against Covid-19, a fact stressed not only by medical scientists but also by some homoeopathic practitioners themselves.
- Arsenicum album 30 has been recommended by the state governments in Rajasthan, Karnataka, Tamil Nadu, Andhra Pradesh and Kerala.
- Even in states that have no protocol for using the drug against Covid-19, there have been reports about people flocking to homeopathic clinics to buy Arsenicum album, sometimes at triple the cost. Even local chemists have started stocking this medicine.
About Arsenicum album
- It is made by heating arsenic with distilled water, a process repeated several times over three days.
- The health hazards of arsenic contamination in water are well known: long-term exposure to the metal can cause skin cancer, pulmonary and cardiovascular diseases.
- The homoeopathic drug has less than 1% arsenic.
- Arsenicum album is considered to correct inflammation in body.
- It takes care of diarrhoea, cough and cold
- It is used commonly by homeopaths to treat anxiety, restlessness, cold, ulcerations, burning pains.
- The WHO has no guidelines on using Arsenicum album as a Covid-19 treatment either.