The Indian army has put forth a proposal to the Ministry of Defence (MoD) to buy 307 ATAGS i.e. Advanced Towed Artillery Gun Systems.
- The ATAGS is an indigenous towed artillery gun system project developed by the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) as a part of the artillery modernisation programme of the Indian army.
- The ATGAS is a large calibre Gun system with the capability to program and fire future Long Range Guided Munitions (LRGM) to achieve precision and deep strike.
- The technology and know-how of raw howitzer have been shared with two private firms Tata Advanced Systems and Bharat Forge group by Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) and they would be supplying the system to the forces including over 320 high mobility vehicles.
- The system is configured with an all-electric drive mechanism. will ensure maintenance-free and reliable operation over long periods of time.
- At the very first, the ATAGS is set to be the most advanced and the first gun in the world which has the capability to fire Bi-Modular Charge System (BMCS) zone 7.
- The BMCS is the key parameter for gun trails as it consists of two types of charges – Lower Zones (LZ) for shorter ranges and Higher Zones (HZ) for longer ranges.
- The system utilises fully indigenous raw materials, equipment and processes.
- Debris-free burning is ensured over a wide range of operating temperatures to take care of different weather conditions prevailing in Siachen to Rajasthan. Apart from primary ammunition, secondary ammunition can also be fired with BMCS.
- The BMCS was extensively evaluated and provisional range tables are generated.
- The ATAGS also completed the high-altitude trials in Sikkim where the ATAGS created a new record as it fired at 13,000+ feet height and successfully completed 500+ km in treacherous high-altitude terrain up to 15,400 feet.
- The recorded range is up to 48 Km for High Explosive Extended Range Full Bore projectile with Base Bleed (ERFB-BB).
- Armament Research and Development Establishment (ARDE) Pune is the nodal laboratory of the DRDO for the design & development of ATAGS, along with other DRDO laboratories.
Source: Financial Express
Visit Abhiyan PEDIA (One of the Most Followed / Recommended) for UPSC Revisions: Click Here
IAS Abhiyan is now on Telegram: Click on the Below link to Join our Channels to stay Updated
IAS Abhiyan Official: Click Here to Join
For UPSC Mains Value Edition (Facts, Quotes, Best Practices, Case Studies): Click Here to Join