- Recently, the Department of Space has provided that the Indian Astronomers have discovered one of the farthest Star galaxies i.e. AUDFs01 in the universe.
About AUDFs01-Farthest Star Galaxies
- It is discovered by India’s first Multi-Wavelength Space Observatory “AstroSat” which has detected extreme-UV light from a galaxy located 9.3 billion light-years away from Earth.
- The galaxy was discovered by a team of Astronomers led by Dr Kanak Saha from the Inter-University Centre for Astronomy and Astrophysics (IUCAA) Pune.
Back to Basics
- AstroSat is the first dedicated Indian astronomy mission aimed at studying celestial sources in X-ray, optical and UV spectral bands simultaneously.
- The payloads cover the energy bands of Ultraviolet (Near and Far), limited optical and X-ray regime (0.3 keV to 100keV).
- One of the unique features of AstroSat mission is that it enables the simultaneous multi-wavelength observations of various astronomical objects with a single satellite.
- The minimum useful life of the AstroSat mission is expected to be 5 years.
Inter-University Centre for Astronomy and Astrophysics (IUCAA) Pune
- It is an autonomous institution set up by the University Grants Commission (UGC) of India.
- Its aim is promote the nucleation and growth of active groups in astronomy and astrophysics at Indian universities.
It aims to be a centre of excellence within the university sector for teaching, research and development in astronomy and astrophysics.