- Government has banned manufacturing, storing and importing of “Oxytocin” in any form or name on recommendations of Drug Technical Advisory Board (DTAB).
More about Oxytocin
- Oxytocin is a life saving drug used to stop bleeding during childbirth or during abortion. The decision is taken to curb its illegal use in production of milk.
- Misoprostol is an alternate to Oxytocin, but government has already banned Misoprostol in private clinic because it can be used in sex-selective abortions.
- Karnataka Antibiotics & Pharmaceuticals Ltd (KAPL) a PSU will be the sole supplier now on a demand basis to registered private and public hospitals and for export. A barcode system is also proposed to track manufacturing to usage route supply chain to curb misuse.
- Concerns has been raised by experts about efficiency of KAPL to cater demand specially in villages and remote areas, when mortality in India is still an big issue.