In order to facilitate seamless transfer of vehicles, the Ministry of Road Transport & Highways, has introduced BH Series registration mark for new vehicles.
BH Series or Bharat Series will be available for select vehicle owners who are subject to frequent transfers and relocations
About BH Series registration
- A vehicle bearing this registration mark shall not require assignment of a new registration mark when the owner of the vehicle shifts from one State to another.
- Format of Bharat series (BH-series) Registration Mark –
- Registration Mark Format: –
- YY BH #### XX
- YY – Year of first registration
- BH- Code for Bharat Series
- ####- 0000 to 9999 (randomized)
- XX- Alphabets (AA to ZZ)
- This vehicle registration facility under “Bharat series (BH-series)” will be available on voluntary basis to Defense personnel, employees of Central Government/ State Government/ Central/ State Public Sector Undertakings and private sector companies/organizations, which have their offices in four or more States/Union territories.
- The motor vehicle tax will be levied for two years or in multiple of two.
- This scheme will facilitate free movement of personal vehicles across States/UTs of India upon relocation to a new State/UT.
- After completion of the fourteenth year, the motor vehicle tax shall be levied annually which shall be half of the amount which was charged earlier for that vehicle.
Need for BH Series registration
- Station relocation occurs with both Government and private sector employees.
- Such movements create a sense of unease in the minds of such employees with regard to transfer of registration from the parent state to another state.
- Under section 47 of the Motor Vehicles Act, 1988, a person is allowed to keep the vehicle for not more than 12 months in any state other than the state where the vehicle is registered.
Central Motor Vehicles (Twentieth Amendment) Rules, 2021
- The new rules, also called Central Motor Vehicles (Twentieth Amendment) Rules, 2021, shall come into force with effect from September 15, 2021.
- The registration mark for BH-series vehicle will be generated randomly through the portal.
- Currently, a person is allowed to keep vehicle for a maximum of 12 months in any state other than the state where it is registered.
- The owners has to get such vehicles re-registered before the expiry of 12 months.
- At present, a passenger vehicle owner for re-registration of vehicle has to take no objection certificate from the parent state for assignment of a new registration mark in another state.
- Also, the assignment of new registration mark is done after the road tax on pro rata basis is paid in the new state.
- The new rule aims to centralise the system of re-registration of vehicles when relocating between states an easier process.
Economy Current Affairs 2021 UPSC : Click Here