Facts & Figures:
- Bhitarkanika National Park is located in Kendrapara district of Odisha in eastern India.
- Bhitarkanika is one of the largest sanctuaries of crocodiles in the region with 1,671 reptiles.
- Apart from crocodiles, meandering water courses flanked by green mangrove forests and migratory birds flocking in search of prey in the swampy fields of Bhitarakanika are some of the major attractions.
- Mammals found in the place include leopards, wild boars, fishing cats, hyenas, sambar deer and Gangetic dolphins.
- Reptiles include olive ridley sea turtles, crocodiles, water monitors, pythons and king cobras.
- Around 166 species of birds have been spotted in the park.
- Researchers have come across 11 of the 70 mangrove species in Bhitarakanika which were at an elevated threat of extinction around the world.
Source:TH & Wiki