- Recently, the Union Minister for Consumer Affairs, Food and Public Distribution has launched the Bureau of Indian Standard (BIS) Mobile App ‘BIS-Care’ and three portals namely the Standardization, Conformity Assessment and Training Portals of e-BIS for consumers.
About the App
- The app can be operated on any Android phone and is operational in Hindi and English language.
- Consumers can check the authenticity of the ISI-marked and hallmarked products and lodge complaints using this app.
- It is important to ensure that consumers are aware of the standards and quality products and help in eliminating the supply of sub-standard products.
- e-BIS is an integrated portal covering all functions of BIS, enlisting the services of outside agencies for factory and market surveillance and development of mobile app-based and Artificial Intelligence (AI) enabled surveillance methods.
- Certification and surveillance to enforce the implementation of standards is an important aspect of BIS functioning which is also strengthening its capacity of enforcement by the implementation of e-BIS.