- Recently, Scientists have observed the fifth state of matter – Bose-Einstein condensates (BECs) – in space for the first time.
- This discovery offers unprecedented insight that could help solve some of the quantum universe’s most intractable conundrums.
What is Bose-Einstein condensates?
- formed when atoms of certain elements are cooled to near absolute zero.
- a state of matter when separate atoms or subatomic particles, cooled to near absolute zero into a single quantum mechanical entity
- This form of matter was predicted in 1920s by Albert Einstein on the basis of the quantum formulations of the Indian physicist Satyendra Nath Bose.
- they can slow down light.
Potential applications include
- more-accurate atomic clocks and enhanced techniques to make electronic chips, or integrated circuits.