- While the Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG) of India has panned the management of Bihar’s national parks and wildlife sanctuaries in its recent report, wildlife conservationists working in the area.
Facts for Prelims:
- There have been improvements in the Valmiki Tiger Reserve (VTR). Tiger numbers have risen; management of the reserve is better. Earlier, it was a stronghold of dacoits using the park’s porous Indo-Nepal border.
- The Vikramshila Gangetic Dolphin Sanctuary. “When it was established in 1991, the sanctuary was a protected area only on paper. When we started working there in 2000, people were not aware this was a wildlife sanctuary and that the dolphins were in danger.
- The Bhimbandh Wildlife Sanctuary, one of the largest in Bihar and once famous for frequent sightings of white tigers has been a complete information blackhole now for more than 30 years.
- Gautam Buddha Sanctuary, once a tiger and sambar stronghold right upto the late 1980s.