- The Centre told the Supreme Court that it is considering relaxing ban on petcoke and furnace oil for cement manufacturers and power plants.
- The government told a Bench led by Justice Madan B. Lokur that it would file an affidavit on Monday next.
- It said cement manufacturers did not use these items as fuel but as an ingredient.
- The court reminded them that petcoke was imported from countries like the United States and China which had stopped using it due to its harmful effects on human beings and the environment.
- The Bench had recently refused to modify its ban on the use of petcoke and furnace oil in Uttar Pradesh, Rajasthan and Haryana.