- Two high-level committees have been constituted by the Central government to suggest ways and legal framework to effectively deal with incidents of mob violence and lynching.
About the Committee:
- The committees are headed by:
(a) Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh -They will submit their recommendations to the Prime Minister.
(b) Union Home Secretary Rajiv Gauba– They will submit the recommendations to a ministerial committee headed by the report to the government within four weeks.
- The Secretaries of the justice, legal affairs, legislative, and social justice and empowerment departments are members of the committee.
- The government has also decided to constitute a Group of Ministers (GoM) headed by Home Minister Singh to consider the recommendations of the high-level committee of the Secretaries.
- External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj, Road Transport Minister Nitin Gadkari, Law Minister Ravi Shankar Prasad and Social Justice and Empowerment Minister Thawar Chand Gehlot are members of the Group of Ministers.
Prelims related Information
- ‘Police’ and ‘Public Order’ are State subjects as per the Constitutional scheme.
- The State governments are responsible for controlling crime, maintaining law and order, and protecting the life and property of the citizens.
- They are empowered to enact and enforce laws to curb crime in their jurisdiction.