- India has been awarded a certificate of commendation for its effort to combat illegal wildlife trade by the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES).
- Currently, 183 countries are signatory to the CITES.
- the award was given to WCCB for its efforts in conducting and coordinating a species-specific wildlife enforcement operation, codenamed ‘Operation Save Kurma’.
- The operation was conducted to combat the proliferating illegal trade of live turtles and its parts from the country to destinations abroad.
- During the operation conducted from December 15, 2016 to January 30, 2017, approximately 16,000 live turtles and tortoises were seized and released back into the wild.