- Indian Railways (IR) plans to procure several loco sets of Common Rail Electronic Direct Injection Fuel System (CReDI).
- CReDI is a two-stage fuel distribution system which offers greater flexibility than a normal engine.
It has three major advantages over conventional rail engines:
- Fuel savings
- Reduced noise in operations
- Lower emissions
- It reduces particulate/soot and gaseous emissions (e.g. (NOx emission) because the efficacy of the catalytic converter (device that filter pollutants) is increased under this method.
- A catalytic converter is an emissions control device that converts toxic gases and pollutants in exhaust gas to less toxic pollutants by catalyzing a redox reaction (reduction and oxidation reaction).