- Recognising the growing stature of Competition Commission of India (CCI) in the world, International Competition Network (ICN) has accepted the proposal and decided that Competition Commission of India would host the 2018 ICN Annual Conference. This will be held at Delhi in March –April 2018. ICN is an international body comprising 132 members from 120 competition jurisdictions exclusively devoted to international competition enforcement.
- By virtue of this event, CCI has also been inducted as an ex-officio member of the steering group member of the ICN for a period of 3 years. CCI eagerly looks forward to hosting this international event which will provide a rare opportunity to attract domestic and international competition enforcement experts to deliberate on international best practices and host of competition issues being faced by the Competition agencies the world over.
- CCI has been set-up to prevent practices having adverse effects on competition and to promote and protect interest of consumers and to ensure freedom of trade carried on by other participants in markets in India. The Act also mandates an extra territorial jurisdiction to the Commission.
- CCI has been engaged with competition authorities of other jurisdictions and also multilateral agencies like the Organisation for Economic Cooperation & Development (OECD) and the International Competition Network (ICN).
- CCI is a member of the ICN since 2003. ICN provides competition authorities with a specialised yet informal platform for addressing practical competition concerns, sharing experiences and adopting international best practices. Its members are national competition authorities and NGA (Non-governmental Advisers) which include reputed law firms, eminent persons, and think tanks of international repute.
- The ICN holds an Annual Conference which is hosted by a member competition agency.
- The last such Conference was hosted by Competition Commission of Singapore in April 2016 and Portuguese Competition Authority is hosting the next conference in May 2017.