- The Kandla Port, one of the top 12 major ports in the country, has been rechristened as Deendayal Port from 25th Sept 2017 in the name of Hindutva icon pandit Deendayal Upadhyay.
- Kandla Port Trust is renamed as Deendayal Port Trust with effect from 25 September 2017.
- The central government in exercise of powers conferred on it under Indian Ports Act, 1908 made the amendment to replace “Kandla” with “Deendayal”, as per a notification issued by the ministry of shipping.
About Kandla Port
- The port’s journey began in 1931 with construction of a jetty by Maharao Khengarji.
- Gradually this port in Gujarat became the number one port in India and on 31March 2016 it created history by handling 100 million tonnes cargo in a year – the first Major Port to achieve the milestone.
- Located on the Gulf of Kutch, it is one of major ports on west coast.
- It is the largest port of India by volume of cargo handled.