The Government has got a budget allocation for the development of Inland waterways transport, which also includes for North Eastern Region, for the year 2017-18.
- Out of 111 National Waterways declared by the Government through the National Waterways Act, 2016, National Waterway-1 (Ganga-Bhagirathi-Hooghly river system from Allahabad to Haldia), National Waterway-2 (River Brahmaputra from Dhubri to Sadiya) & National Waterway-3 (West Coast Canal from Kottapuram to Kollam along with Udyogmandal and Champakara Canals) are already operational.
- In addition, in National Waterway-4 (Kakinada- Puducherry canals along with Godavari to Krishna rivers) fairway development works in Vijayawada – Muktyala stretch of river Krishna have commenced under the Phase-I. Work for installation of floating terminals at four locations has commenced.
- A Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) has been signed between Inland Waterway Authority of India (IWAI), Govt. of Odisha, Paradip Port Trust and Dhamra Port Company Ltd. for the development of NW-5 (East Coast Canal integrated with Brahmani river and Mahanadi delta rivers).
- River Barak (NW-16)-Proposal for development for phase -1 of NW-16 from Silchar to Bhanga.
- River Gandak (NW-37)-
- Waterways in Goa
- NW 68 – Mandovi
- NW 111 – Zuari
- Alappuzha – Kottayam – Athirampuzha Canal-(NW-9)
- River Rupnarayan-(NW-86)
- Sunderbans Waterways-(NW-97)