Recently, the United Kingdom announced that it will be implementing a Digital Border by 2024.
About Digital Border
- Digital Border will be an Electronic Travel Authorisation (ETA) system which includes delivering a digital system allowing for online evidence of immigration status.
- It would allow officials to “count people in and count people out”.
- It will be required for all non-British or Irish citizens without a visa or immigration status who come to the UK.
- The overseas health workers will get a free visa extension.
- Those passengers required to get a permit under the new system would include those travelling to the UK.
- Those who wish to work in the UK or stay in the country would need to obtain a visa, rather than an ETA.
- This system has already been put in place for European Economic Area (EEA) nationals to apply for the right to remain in the UK post-Brexit.
- The new scheme is modelled on the US Electronic System for Travel Authorization which has been in place since 2009. A similar system also exists in Canada.
International Relations Current Affairs for UPSC 2021 : Click Here