- DNA fingerprinting or DNA profiling is method of isolating and identifying variable elements within the base-pair sequence of DNA.
- DNA fingerprinting technology is utilised by police all over the world for fool-proof identification of criminals who leave their traces at crime scene while committing crime.
- The technology plays a crucial role in solving crimes as it has potential to link a series of crimes by placing the suspects by linking them with the crime scene.
- DNA profiling plays a crucial role not only in solving crimes but also has a potential to link a series of crimes by placing the suspects at the scene of crime by linking the suspects with the crime scene while also helping to prove their innocence.
- It can also be used to resolve disputes of paternity and maternity.
- It can establish the identity of missing children and baby-swapping cases in hospitals.
Eminent scientist and ‘father of DNA fingerprinting in India’ Lalji Singh died at an age of 70.
Source:TH & Wiki