SpaceX will launch the ‘DOGE-1 Mission to the Moon’ next year, with Elon Musk’s commercial rocket company accepting the meme-inspired cryptocurrency dogecoin as payment.
About DOGE-1 Mission
- The “DOGE-1 Mission to the Moon” will be the first-ever commercial lunar payload in history paid entirely with Dogecoin.
- The DOGE-1 is a cubic satellite, weighing 88 pounds (40 kilograms), will aim to obtain “lunar-spatial intelligence from sensors and cameras on-board”.
- This mission is led by the Canadian company Geometric Energy Corporation (GEC).
- This mission will demonstrate the application of cryptocurrency beyond Earth orbit and set the foundation for interplanetary commerce.
- It is the first lunar mission that is fully financed in cryptocurrency and launches the first meme in space.
- Dogecoin is a cryptocurrency released in 2013 by software engineers Billy Markus and Jackson Palmer.
- Dogecoin is an open-source peer-to-peer digital currency popular among Shiba Inus around the world.
- The Shiba Inu is a Japanese breed of dog that has become popular as an online meme and is related with Dogecoin.
- Dogecoin has one of the most dynamic and largest communities in the cryptocurrency world. This group has banded together to support a variety of charitable endeavours and other ventures. They were also able to fund a NASCAR race.
- Dogecoin has no upper limit, which means there are actually more than 100 billion dogecoins in circulation unlike the bitcoins.
Science and Technology Current Affairs : Click Here