About the Award:
- [stextbox id=”alert” bgcolor=”DBFFC7″]Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam IGNITE 2016 competition –is a national competition of original technological ideas and innovations by children up to class 12 or those out of school up to the age of 17 years -it is organized by National Innovation Foundation(NIF) every year to promote creativity and originality among children.[/stextbox]
- The awards of IGNITE competition are announced every year on October 15th, Dr APJ Abdul Kalam’s birthday, which is celebrated as the Children’s Creativity and Innovation Day by NIF.
- Starting in 2008, in the last eight years, 173 awards have been given to 246 children. This year, a total of 31 students have been awarded for their ideas/innovations (List of award winners annexed). Overall, 55,089 submissions of students from 458 districts of all the states & Union Territories of India were received during the IGNITE 16 competition, which ran from September 1, 2015 to August 31, 2016.
- An exhibition showcasing award winning ideas has been put up at the venue. NIF will file patents in all applicable cases in the name of the students and will also engage designers/fabricators to develop prototypes of the students’ ideas.
National Innovation Foundation
- NIF, an autonomous body of the Department of Science and Technology, Government of India, has been actively engaged in promoting creativity and innovation in our society with active support of Honey Bee Network.
- NIF has taken major initiatives to serve the knowledge-rich but economically poor people of the country.
- It is committed to making India innovative by documenting, adding value, protecting the intellectual property rights (IPR) of the contemporary unaided technological innovators as well as of outstanding traditional knowledge-holders and disseminating their innovations on commercial and non-commercial basis.
[stextbox id=”alert” bgcolor=”FFDEB8″]Dr APJ Abdul Kalam IGNITE Award is an effort to focus primarily on the creativity of the children and promote inclusive and compassionate thinking among them.[/stextbox]