The Ministry of Home Affairs has provided financial assistance to the States and Union Territories (UTs) for E-Prisons Project and all funds have been released to them.
About E-Prisons Project
- It aims at computerization of the functioning of prisons in the country and has been operationalised in all States and Union Territories.
- The e-Prisons application suite integrates all the activities related to prison and prisoner management.
- The E-Prisons application suite has been developed by National Informatics Centre (NIC), Ministry of Electronics & IT (MeitY).
- It provides vital information about the inmates lodged in the prisons in a real-time environment to the courts, prison officials and other entities involved in the Criminal Justice System. It facilitates online visit requests and grievance redressal.
Purpose of E-Prisons Project
- The e-Prisons data has been integrated with Police and Court system under the Inter-operable Criminal Justice System.
- The e-Prisons uses data maintained by the States and Union Territories on the National Prisons Information Portal as per protocols notified for e-Prisons.
- The system can be accessed through the secure National Informatics Centre (NIC) network, exclusively by the authorized officials of Law Enforcement Agencies and Prisons, through Inter-operable Criminal Justice System (ICJS).
- The scope of this project is to computerize and integrate all the activities related to prison and prisoner management in the jail.
- It provides vital information about the inmates, lodged in the prisons, in real time environment to the prison officials and other entities, involved in Criminal Justice System.
- It also facilitates online visit request and grievance redressal.
Components of E-Prisons Project
- e-Prisons MIS: Management Information System used at the prisons for their day to day regular activities; The major modules of ePrisons MIS are:
- Prisoner Information Management System (PIMS);
- Visitor Management System (eVisitor);
- Hospital Management System (eHospital);
- Legal Aid Management System;
- Inventory Management System;
- Prison Management System (PMS);
- Police Intelligence System;
- Court Monitoring; and
- Kiosk Information
- NPIP: National Prisons Information Portal is a citizen centric portal showing statistical data of various prisons in the country
- Visitors can book there visit request to meet their ward inside the prison through this portal;
- Grievances with respect to their wards inside the prisons can also submitted through the portal; and
- This portal also provides with inmate tracking facilities in a secured way to various investigating agencies.
- Kara Bazaar: Portal for showcasing and selling the products manufactured in various prisons of the country by inmates.
- Necessary platform required for on boarding for all the state prison departments are in place.
About Inter-operable Criminal Justice System (ICJS)
- It is a common platform for information exchange and analytics of all the pillars of the criminal justice system comprising of Police, Forensics, Prosecution, Courts & Prisons.
- It enables a nationwide search on police, prisons & courts databases across all States/ UTs in the country.
- It is invested under the CCTNS project of the Ministry of Home Affairs.
Its aim is to reduce errors and time taken in sharing of necessary information between the pillars, which often lead to larger challenges.
Governance Current Affairs : Click here