- An e-way bill is in fact the underpinning of GST which talks about the seamless movement of goods and services.
- If you want to move goods worth more than Rs 50,000 under GST, you will need prior online registration of the consignment and secure an ‘e-way bill’ that tax officials can inspect anytime during the transit to check tax evasion. In a nutshell, without an e-way bill, goods worth over Rs 50,000 simply cannot move.
- The issue on way bill is very significant. The core of GST is to have unrestricted movement of goods across the country and make one common market.
- Making one common market gets impeded if we have a system which makes it difficult to move goods.
- one of the key issues around e-way bills is that the validity of the bill depends on the distance that the goods were to travel. For example, if the distance to be covered is between 500-1000 km, the number of days the e-way bill is valid is for 10 days.
- A new e-way bill should be generated whenever the mode of transport of a consignment is changed. This can be a serious problem for e-commerce companies that use various modes of transport for delivery of the same item.