- Scientists are proposing a massive project to sequence, catalog and analyze the genomes of all eukaryotic species on the planet,
- As per the scientists it will take 10 years and require more than 200 petabytes of digital storage capacity.
- Eukaryotes include all organisms except bacteria and archaea.
- Genomics has helped scientists develop new medicines and new sources of renewable energy, feed a growing population, protect the environment and support human survival and well-being.
- The Earth BioGenome Project will create a new foundation for biology, informing a broad range of major issues facing humanity, such as the impact of climate change on biodiversity, the conservation of endangered species and ecosystems, and the preservation and enhancement of ecosystem services.