- IMD has launched systems for probabilistic weather forecasting known as Ensemble Prediction Systems (EPS).
About the System:
- The India Met Department (IMD) has launched two “very high resolution” Ensemble Prediction Systems.
- These are to generate ten-day probabilistic weather forecasts.
- The new systems in place can provide rainfall forecasts with probabilities allowing better lead time to prepare for extreme weather events.
- These systems also use a higher resolution 12 km grid scale, instead of the 23 km resolution that has been in use.
- These systems will improve upon the existing deterministic forecasts that are prone to high margins of errors.
- The new system will tell us the probability of rainfall according to its intensity and volume.
- This will be colour coded for ease of interpretation.
- These systems will also help disaster management authorities in making better emergency response decisions.
- But these particular systems are specifically for rainfall, though it can be tweaked to provide similar forecasts for thunderstorms, cold waves and weather events.
- Also, this model will not specifically be helpful in providing the exact nature and intensity of thunderstorms.