- The Union ministry of electronics and information technology has set up an internal committee to advise the government on a policy on artificial intelligence (AI).
About the Committee:
- This expert committee will advise the IT ministry on the most apt technologies for India. The government’s main focus is to reduce cyber-attacks with AI.
- The government has recently drawn up a seven-point strategy that would form the framework for India’s strategic plan to use AI.
- The strategy includes developing methods for human machine interactions; ensuring safety and security of AI systems; creating a competent workforce in line with AI and R&D needs, understanding and addressing the ethical, legal and societal implications of AI, measuring and evaluating AI technologies through standards and benchmarks, among others.
- AI can benefit various government agencies in their functioning. But at the same time we have to ensure that an indigenous workforce to develop AI is created.
- AI is also widely seen as a major challenge in generation of employment as many companies are likely to depend more on it to cut down on human resources.