- Samta Diwas is the celebration of birth anniversary of nationalist politician Babu Jagjivan Ram.
- It is celebrated on April 5. 2018 marks his 111th birth anniversary.
- The day emphasizes on bringing about equality among all spheres of the society.
- His beliefs were of great significance in the past era as there was predominance of multi layered society. He focused on the harsh rules of the society and pressed for the abolishment of this society. His 50 years as a MP is a world record. He took part in India’s independence struggle and was founder member of the All India Depressed Classes League, an organisation dedicated to attaining equality for untouchables. He had also led the rural labour movement.
Non-Aligned Movement (NAM)
- The Non-Aligned Movement as an organization was founded on the Brijuni islands in Yugoslavia in 1956.
- The founding fathers of the Non-Aligned Movement were Josip Broz Tito of Socialist Yugoslavia, Jawaharlal Nehru of India, Sukarno of Indonesia, Gamal Abdel Nasser of Egypt and Kwame Nkrumah of Ghana.
- Their actions were known as ‘The Initiative of Five’.
- The Non-Aligned Movement (NAM) is a group of states that are not formally aligned with or against any major power bloc.
- As of 2012, the movement has 120 members.
- The objective of the organization is to ensure-
(a) The national independence
(c) Territorial integrity and
(d) Security of non-aligned countries (e) Struggle against imperialism, colonialism, neo-colonialism, racism etc.
- The United Nations Human Rights Council (UNHRC) is a United Nations System inter-governmental body responsible for promoting and protecting human rights around the world.
- Its 47 seats are filled by member states elected for three-year terms.
- It is an autonomous body constituted under the Protection of Human Rights Act in 1993.
- It is responsible for the protection and promotion of human rights, defined by the Act as “rights relating to life, liberty, equality and dignity of the individual guaranteed by the Constitution”.
- NHRC Chairperson should be retired Chief Justice of India.
- The current chairman of the NHRC is Justice H. L. Dattu.
- The Chairperson and members of the NHRC are appointed by the President of India.
- Aarogyasri is the flagship scheme of all health initiatives of the Telangana Government with a mission to provide quality healthcare to the poor.
- The scheme provides financial protection to families living below poverty line upto Rs. 2 lakhs in a year for the treatment of serious ailments requiring hospitalization and surgery.
- The State Government has set up the Aarogyasri Health Care Trust.
Wildlife Protection Act 1972
- The Wildlife Protection Act, 1972 is an Act of the Parliament of India enacted for protection of plants and animal species.
- It extends to the whole of India, except the State of Jammu and Kashmir which has its own wildlife act.
- It has six schedules which give varying degrees of protection.
- Schedule I and part II of Schedule II provide absolute protection – offences under these are prescribed the highest penalties.
- Species listed in Schedule III and Schedule IV are also protected, but the penalties are much lower.
- Schedule V includes the animals which may be hunted.
- The specified endemic plants in Schedule VI are prohibited from cultivation and planting.
SAHYOG- HYEOBLYEOG 2018
- Indo-Korean joint anti-piracy, search and rescue exercise ‘SAHYOG- HYEOBLYEOG 2018’ was conducted off the Chennai coast.
- The Korean Coast Guard ship ‘BADARO’ took part in the exercise.
- The mission of the joint exercise is to develop working level co-operation and enhance inter-operability in the fields of maritime search and rescue, anti-piracy operations.
- The RH300 sounding rocket, developed by Vikram Sarabhai Space Centre (VSSC) as part of a study to enrich available atmospheric data, would be launched from Thumba Equatorial Rocket Launching Station (TERLS).
- This will be the 21st launch of RH300 sounding rocket.
- It is a part of a study undertaken by VSSC under the Sounding Rocket Experiment (SOUREX) programme, which utilises the RH-300 MKII sounding rocket to study the Equatorial E and lower ionosphere regions of the atmosphere.
- The objective of the experiment is to measure neutral wind in the dynamo region (80-120 km) of equatorial ionosphere using the
- indigenously developed Electron Density and Neutral Wind Probe (ENWi) and
- perform cross-validation using an independent Tri Methyl Aluminium (TMA) release technique.
- The study will enrich available atmospheric data and refine the models used for tropical weather prediction.
- A sounding rocket, sometimes called a research rocket, is an instrument-carrying rocket designed to take measurements and perform scientific experiments during its sub-orbital flight.
- The Indian Air Force will carry out one of its biggest combat exercise “Gaganshakti” to check its operational preparedness with a focus on dealing with any possible security challenges from China and Pakistan.
- The two-week long exercise will involve almost the entire assets of the IAF including its fighter squadrons and the main objective of the day and night drill will be to check war waging capability of the force.
- The first phase of the exercise will focus on northern borders and second phase will be carried out to check preparedness in case of a war-like situation along the western borders.
Ganga Hariteema Yojana
- In Uttar Pradesh, Ganga Hariteema Yojana (Ganga Greenery scheme) has been launched in 27 districts of the state located on the bank of river Ganga.
- Chief Minister launched the scheme at Allahabad in a function organised on the bank of Sangam (the confluence of rivers of Ganga, Yamuna and mythical Saraswati).
- The objectives of the schemes include enhancing green cover in the catchment areas of the river Ganga and to control the land erosion.
- Plantation will be carried out in one-kilometre areas from the banks of river under the scheme.
“Uzhavan” and ‘Amma Bio-Fertiliser’ scheme for farmers
- In a bid to use technology for farmers’ benefit, the Tamil Nadu Government has come out with a mobile application “Uzhavan” that will allow ryots to have access to nine types of services, including details about their crop insurance.
- Chief Minister also launched the ‘Amma Bio-Fertiliser’ scheme, named after late Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa. The initiative was aimed at better management of nature farming and help boost and maintain soil fertility.
Drugs and Cosmetics Rules, 1945
- The Drugs and Cosmetics Rules, 1945 are the set of rules under The Drugs and Cosmetics Act, 1940.
- It contains provisions for classification of drugs under given schedules and there are guidelines for the storage, sale, display and prescription of each schedule.
- The drug label must display the texts “Rx” and “Schedule H drug.
- It cannot be sold without a prescription and only the amount specified in the prescription should be sold.
- The time and date of prescription must be noted.
- If a Schedule H drug also comes under the purview of Narcotic Drugs and Psychotropic Substances Act, 1985, it must carry the texts “NRx” and “Schedule H drug.
Central Drugs Standard Control Organization (CDSCO)
- It is the national regulatory body for Indian pharmaceuticals and medical devices.
- Within the CDSCO, the Drug Controller General of India (DCGI) regulates pharmaceutical and medical devices, under the gamut of Ministry of Health and Family Welfare.
- The DCGI is advised by the Drug Technical Advisory Board (DTAB) and the Drug Consultative Committee (DCC).
Drugs Technical Advisory Board (DTAB)
- It is the highest decision-making body under the Union health ministry on technical matters.
- Director General of Health Services (DGHS) is the ex-officio chairman of this statutory body which is constituted by the ministry under section 5 of the Drugs and Cosmetics Act.
Materials ISS Experiment Flight Facility (MISSE-FF)
- Astronauts aboard the International Space Station were set to receive research, crew supplies and hardware in SpaceX, a commercial resupply mission.
- The SpaceX Dragon lifted off on a Falcon 9 rocket with a delivery of experiments dealing with how the human body, plants and materials behave in space
- The MISSE Flight Facility is a commercially-available materials research facility that will reside externally aboard the International Space Station (ISS).
- It has been developed by Alpha Space Test and Research Alliance (Alpha Space) under a Cooperative Agreement with NASA.
- The primary MISSE-FF platform provides the ability to test materials, coatings, and components or other larger experiments in the harsh environment of space.
- The MISSE-FF provides a platform for testing how materials react to exposure to ultraviolet radiation, atomic oxygen, ionizing radiation etc., in the low-Earth orbit environment.
- In some registered cases, ‘Dark Net’ was used for sale and purchase of Narcotic Drugs and Psychotropic Substances as per the records of Narcotics Control Bureau.
- It is a computer network with restricted access that is used chiefly for illegal peer-to-peer file sharing.
- It also refers to networks that are not indexed by search engines such as Google, Yahoo or Bing.
- These are networks that are only available to a select group of people and not to the general internet public, and only accessible via authorization, specific software and configurations.
- In recent past ,Silk road ,an online dark market was busted which was used to sell drugs, weapons and stolen identities.