- The Union cabinet has approved the proposal for implementation of scheme titled ‘Faster Adoption and Manufacturing of Electric Vehicles in India Phase II (FAME India Phase II)’ for promotion of Electric Mobility in the country.
- The scheme with total outlay of Rs 10000 Crores over the period of three years will be implemented with effect from 1st April 2019.
- This scheme is the expanded version of the present scheme titled ‘FAME India1 which was launched on 1st April 2015.
About FAME-India Scheme Phase – II:
- The scheme proposes to give a push to electric vehicles (EVs) in public transport.
- It seeks to encourage adoption of EVs by way of market creation and demand aggregation.
- FAME India is a part of the National Electric Mobility Mission Plan. Main thrust of FAME is to encourage electric vehicles by providing subsidies.
- Vehicles in most segments – two wheelers, three wheelers, electric and hybrid cars and electric buses obtained the subsidy benefit of the scheme.
- FAME focuses on 4 areas i.e. Technology development, Demand Creation, Pilot Projects and Charging Infrastructure.