- A unique study on effectiveness of yoga and fenugreek in preventing diabetes that was carried out simultaneously in seven cities across the country holds the potential for discovery of a lifestyle that could help people diabetic people find new ways of managing the disease.
- Fenugreek seeds are high in soluble fibre, which helps reduce blood sugar by slowing down digestion and absorption of carbohydrates.
- Some people are allergic to fenugreek, and people who have peanut allergy and chickpea allergy may have a reaction to fenugreek.
- Fenugreek seeds can cause diarrhea, dyspepsia, abdominal distention, and flatulence.
- There is a risk of hypoglycemia particularly in people with diabetes; it may also interfere with the activity of anti-diabetic drugs.
- Because of the high content of coumarin-like compounds in fenugreek, it may interfere with the activity and dosing of anticoagulants and antiplatelet drugs.
- It causes birth defects in animals and there are reports that it also causes birth defects in humans, and that it can pass through the placenta; it also appears to negatively affect male fertility, female fertility, and the ability of an embryo in animals and humans.
Source: The Hindu & Wiki