Fire Ready Formula of UNEP


  • The United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP), called on global governments to adopt a new Fire Ready Formula as it warned that incidences of wildfires would rise in the future.

  • The report was released ahead of the resumed 5th session of the UN Environment Assembly or UNEA-5.2).

Key Findings of Fire Ready Formula Report

  • The number of wildfires is likely to increase by up to 14 per cent by 2030. It is projected to spike by 33 per cent by 2050. It would rise by 52 per cent by 2100.

    Fire Ready Formula of UNEP
    Photo: iStock
  • The prevalence and behaviour of wildfires is changing due to numerous factors including, but not limited to, climate change. 
  • Change in land-use and land management practices are also responsible for the increasing risks of wildfires.
  • An increase in damaging wildfires may reverse or delay progress towards achieving the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), Paris Agreement and Sendai targets
  • The changing scale and intensity of wildfires may especially impact achievements in developing countries, across several of the SDGs that impact human health and well-being. These include the SDG goals to end hunger, poverty and the goal on climate action too.

Key Suggestions

  • The new formula envisages that 66 per cent of spending be devoted to planning, prevention, preparedness and recovery. The remaining 34 per cent can be spent on response.
  • Integrated wildfire management was key to adapting to current and future changes in global wildfire risk.
  • There was a need to invest more in fire risk reduction, work with local communities and strengthen global commitment to fight climate change.
  • Achieving and sustaining adaptive land and fire management requires a combination of policies, a legal framework and incentives that encourage appropriate land and fire use.
  • The UNEP has called for strengthening international and regional cooperation on wildfires. Development of an international standard for wildfire management has also been recommended.
  • This will facilitate international cooperation and help all wildfire-prone countries build capacity for both domestic application and international assistance.
New “Fire Ready Formula” focuses on planning and prevention  
Serial No Budget item Percentage share of the total on  wildfire management  recommended
1 Planning 1 %
2 Prevention 32 %
3 Preparedness 13 %
4 Response 34 %
5 Recovery 20 %


Source: DTE

Visit Abhiyan PEDIA (One of the Most Followed / Recommended) for UPSC Revisions: Click Here

IAS Abhiyan is now on Telegram: Click on the Below link to Join our Channels to stay Updated 

IAS Abhiyan Official: Click Here to Join

For UPSC Mains Value Edition (Facts, Quotes, Best Practices, Case Studies): Click Here to Join

Leave a Reply