The first ever Namami Barak festival was inaugurated in Silchar by the Chief Minister of Assam Sarbanand Sonowal.
- Namami Barak festival is a three-day river festival.
- The event is organised to pay tribute to the River Barak and to showcase of Barak’s potential & possibilities to emerge as a hub of trade and commerce.
- The event is organised at 3 locations in Barak Valley also known as Southern Assam.
- Silchar will be the main event area while other two locations are Hailakandi and Karimganj.
- The closing ceremony of Namami Barak scheduled on 20 November will be held at Police Parade Ground, Silchar. President Ram Nath Kovind will grace the occasion as Chief Guest.
- The festival will highlight the cultural heritage of the valley together with its cuisine, fauna and flora, socio-economic and civic splendour
About Barak River:
- It is one of the major rivers of South Assam.
- It is is a part of the Surma-Meghna River System.
- It rises in the hill country of Manipur State
- After Manipur it flows through Mizoram State and into Assam, ending after 564 kilometres.
- After entering Bangladesh it merges into the Surma and Kushiyara rivers.
Source: Business Standard & Wiki