Recently, the Union Minister of State (Independent Charge) Science & Technology said that the Geo-imaging satellite EOS-03 is scheduled for launch in third quarter of 2021.
About Geo-imaging satellite “EOS-03”
It is a geo-imaging satellite for Earth Observation from Geostationary Orbit.
- The technology is developed by the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) and it consists of capabilities including:
- Imaging the whole country 4-5 times daily
- In addition to natural disasters, EOS-03 would also enable monitoring of water bodies, crops, vegetation condition, forest cover changes etc.
- It would enable near-real time monitoring of natural disasters like floods & cyclones.
About Small Satellite Launch Vehicle (SSLV)
- It is ideal for the on-demand, quick turn-around launch of small satellites.
- The major technologies developed as part of the realisation of the SSLV are flexible nozzle control with electro-mechanical actuators for all stages, miniaturized avionics and a velocity trimming module in the upper stage for precise satellite injection.
- It is a cost-effective, three stage and all-solid launch vehicle with a payload capability of 500 kg to 500 km planar orbit or 300 kg to Sun Synchronous Polar Orbit.
Science and Technology Current Affairs : Click here