- Recently, the Union Minister of Commerce and Industry launched the national GIS-enabled Land Bank system for 6 states.
- It is being developed by integration of Industrial Information System (IIS) with State GIS Systems.
- a prototype only and will be developed further with inputs from states, to make it an effective, transparent mechanism of land identification and procurement.
- More than 3,300 industrial parks across 31 states and UTs covering about 475,000-hectare land have been mapped on the system.
- The information available includes forest, drainage; raw material heat maps (agricultural, horticulture, mineral layers) and multiple layers of connectivity.
- initiative is being supported by Invest India, National Center of Geo-Informatics (NCoG), National e-Governance Division (NeGD), Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology and Bhaskaracharya Institute for Space Applications and Geo-Informatics (BISAG).
- It will push the approach of ‘One District One Product’ (ODOP), and promote a National Movement Towards ‘Atma Nirbhar Bharat’.
- The simplification of procedures will help in attracting investments from abroad and also lead to Ease of doing business for domestic investors.
Back to Basics
- IIS portal is a GIS-enabled database of industrial areas/clusters across the states.
About ‘One District One Product’ (ODOP):
- On the approach of ‘One District One Product’ (ODOP) to make India a manufacturing powerhouse.
- ODOP could be a transformational step forward realizing the true potential of a district because every district has some speciality, strengths or uniqueness
- It will promote economic growth, generate employment and rural entrepreneurship.