Environmental factors like human environmental damage and natural resource crisis were also believed to be among the top 10 risks in the period, the Global Risks Report 2022 stated.
Key Findings of Global Risks Report 2022
Respondents to the 2022 World Economic Forum Global Risks Perception Survey ranked ‘Climate action failure’ as the number one risk with potentially the most severe impact over the next decade.
- Climate action failure, extreme weather events and biodiversity loss were perceived by experts as the biggest threats for the global population over the next decade.
- Extreme weather events will be also the biggest threat over the next two years (short-term).
- The highest number of respondents thought climate action failure and extreme weather events will be the world’s biggest risks in the next five and 10 years as well,
- The fallout of the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) pandemic has been seen as a potent trigger to the existing threats in the two latest Global Risks Report.
- Since 2020, the pandemic has compounded the threats of social cohesion erosion, livelihood crises and climate action failure the most, the highest number of experts signalled.
- Mental health deterioration and extreme weather events were exacerbated by the pandemic that is in its third year now.
- The global economic gap will widen by 2024, when the developing countries will have fallen 5.5 per cent below their pre-pandemic expected GDP growth and advanced economies would have surpassed the same by almost 0.9 per cent, they underlined.
- Digital inequality and cybersecurity failure also feature among the critical short- and medium-term threats, the analysis pointed out.
Visit Abhiyan PEDIA (One of the Most Followed / Recommended) for UPSC Revisions: Click Here
IAS Abhiyan is now on Telegram: Click on the Below link to Join our Channels to stay Updated
IAS Abhiyan Official: Click Here to Join
For UPSC Mains Value Edition (Facts, Quotes, Best Practices, Case Studies): Click Here to Join