- Andaman and Nicobar Islands has huge potential to scale up organic farming.
- Currently, organic farming is being taken up on a small scale in about 321 hectares of the Union Territory.
- The island has immense potential and is favourably placed for organic farming due to less use of chemical fertilisers and abundant species.
Adverse effect of Chemical fertiliser
- The environment and social and economic issues are linked to chemical fertiliser-based farming.
- Large part of chemicals is absorbed by the soil, air, and plants.
- Spraying of chemicals pollutes faraway plants and they seep into the ground and pollute water sources.
- Use of chemicals has led to climate change and created ecological imbalance and it is affecting human beings too.
Sbout Paramparagat Krishi Vikas Yojajna
- Launched in 2016.
- Improve organic farming and soil health.
- Also known as Traditional Farming Improvement Programme.
Fodder Point for Prelims
- Sikkim has become India’s first fully organic state by implementing organic practices on around 75,000 hectares of agricultural land.