Recently, the Union Home Minister has launched the Green Sohra Afforestation Campaign and Greater Sohra Water Supply Scheme at Sohra.
About Green Sohra Afforestation Campaign
- It will be run by the Meghalaya Government with the help of Assam Rifles.
It will greatly benefit eco-tourism and will also boost tourism in the state.
- The campaign gave the slogan “Evergreen Northeast”, underlining the importance of afforestation and tree plantation.
- It is an ambitious project to make Cherrapunji green again and the entire area of Cherrapunji is going to be adopted by Assam Rifles for the purpose of plantation.
Greater Sohra Water Supply Scheme
- It is a part of the Prime Minister’s ambitious project Jal Jeevan Mission.
- It will be implemented by the Ministry of DoNER and the Government of Meghalaya, under the North-East Special Infrastructure Scheme.
- It will provide pure drinking water through taps to every household.
- It has set the target of providing pure drinking water to every household in the state of Meghalaya and the country before the completion of 75 years of Independence and 50 years of Meghalaya.
It is an ambitious programme to provide drinking water to 280,000 families in the state of Meghalaya, which is clubbed into 1874 small projects.
Environment Current Affairs : Click Here