Recently, Hathei chilli and Tamenglong orange of Manipur get GI tag.
About Hathei chilli and Tamenglong orange
About Hathei chilli
- Hathei chilli is commonly known as the Sirarakhong chilly
- Found in Manipur’s Ukrul district and is known for its unique flavour
- Thrives well only in climatic condition of the Sirarakhong village. The village also has a folk song dedicated to the chilli, in which they compare the worth of the chilli to a prized shawl of the Tangkhul Naga tribe known as ‘Khuilang’.
- Good anti-oxidant and possesses high calcium and Vitamin C levels
- American Spice Trade Association (ASTA) colour value of 164
Tamenglong mandarin orange
- Tamenglong mandarin orange is Bigger in size
- Unique sweet and sour flavour
- High juice content
- Rich in ascorbic acid
- Grown over areas spanning in the hills of Tamenglong
Back to Basics
- Manipur black rice, scented glutinous rice which has been cultivated in the state over centuries and it is characterised by its special aroma, bagged GI tag in May 2020. Earlier Kachai Lemon, a unique lemon variety which grows at Kachai village in Ukhrul district, was also accorded GI registration tag.
GI Tags in News UPSC 2021 : Click Here