Recently, the Ministry of Agriculture and Farmers’ Welfare (MoA&FW) has launched Horticulture Cluster Development Programme (CDP) to ensure holistic growth of horticulture.
About Horticulture Cluster Development Programme
- It is central sector programme that aims at growing and developing identified horticulture clusters to make them globally competitive.
- It is implemented by the National Horticulture Board (NHB) of the Ministry of Agriculture and Farmers’ Welfare (MoA&FW).
- Clusters – MoA&FW has identified 53 horticulture clusters, of which 12 have been selected for the pilot launch of the programme. They are,
- Shopian (J&K) and Kinnaur (H.P.) for Apple,
- Lucknow (U.P.), Kutch (Gujarat) and Mahbubnagar (Telangana) for Mango,
- Anantpur (A.P.) and Theni (T.N.) for Banana,
- Nasik (M.H.) for Grapes,
- Siphahijala (Tripura) for Pineapple,
- Solapur (M.H.) and Chitradurga (Karnataka) for Pomegranate and
- West Jaintia Hills (Meghalaya) for Turmeric.
- These clusters will be implemented through Cluster Development Agencies (CDAs) which are appointed on the recommendations of the respective State/UT Government.
Significance of Horticulture Cluster Development Programme
- It will address all major issues related to the Indian horticulture sector including pre-production, production, post-harvest management, logistics, marketing and branding.
- It will leverage geographical specialisation and promote integrated and market-led development of horticulture clusters.
- It will help in ‘Doubling farmers’ income. It will benefit about 10 lakh farmers and related stakeholders of the value chain.
- It will improve exports of the targeted crops by 20% and create cluster-specific brands to enhance the competitiveness of cluster crops.
- The programme is expected to converge with other initiatives of the Government such as the Agriculture Infrastructure Fund.
- CDP has a huge potential to transform the entire horticulture ecosystem improving its global competitiveness by building last-mile connectivity.
Economy Current Affairs for UPSC : Click Here